If you are selling a home with hardwood floors, you will be pleased to know that according to American based ERA Real Estate, 82% of homebuyers look for homes that have this feature. Hardwood floors are proving to be very popular, and one of the main renos new homebuyers perform is to remove existing carpets and install hardwood floors after they have bought the property.
So if you decide to have hardwood floors installed, here are some helpful tips on choosing the right kind:
- If a hardwood floor is going in a high-traffic area, it will need to be strong and durable to prevent wear and tear. Red oak is a good choice for high-traffic areas.
- The type of wood you should get depends on which rooms will have hardwood floors. For living room floors that are even with the ground outside and bedroom floors that are above that level, you can go with solid hardwood. If you’re having a hardwood floor installed in a basement, though, you’d be better off with engineered hardwood.
- Your subfloor type makes a big difference in the type of wood you can get. For example, a concrete subfloor would need engineered hardwood, while plywood can have solid or engineered wood.
Why do people like hardwood floors?
- If you suffer from allergies, hardwood flooring is an excellent choice for as wood floors don’t give pollen, animal dander, or mold any place to hide and thrive.
- A little sweeping and a little mopping with wood floor products, and your hardwood floor will keep looking nice for a long time to come.
- Wood floors last a long time and add value to a home, whereas carpet will look old and used in just a few years. There is no substitute for solid hardwood floors, giving any room in your house natural warmth and beauty.
- Not only is hardwood more pleasant to walk on, it is naturally warm as wood is an excellent insulator.
The disadvantages are:
- Hardwood flooring is highly vulnerable to moisture and humidity. Even a little amount of moisture can deteriorate the wood.
- The high cost makes it less affordable. Installation can be quite labor intensive and expensive.
- A hardwood floor can be noisy, so it would have to be covered by rugs to muffle the sound.
If you want to improve the look, durability and value of your home or apartment, hardwood floors are a definite way to go.
Need more help preparing your home for selling? Why not contact us; our real estate professionals would be happy to help you!